Toys for Joys is all about community support, holiday joy, and supporting our kids. 2020 and 2021 have challenged us all in so many ways and the need for help has never been greater. Please, if you can, help us rally and continue to support our mission once again this year. We wish you a safe and healthy holiday season, and look forward to next year when we anticipate coming together once again.
A Message from the Co-Founders
On behalf of all our amazing volunteers who make Toys for Joys happen every year, we hope you are staying safe through these very challenging times. Unfortunately, we have made the choice to again cancel our “Gift Gala” with the continued threat of Coronavirus, and concentrate our efforts on fundraising. We know our mission must still be accomplished, and we had a very successful year last year raising over $80,000 for toys and gifts We have a lofty goal of raising $100,000 this year!!
As a 100% volunteer organization, we guarantee the use of these funds will be allocated to our underprivileged children, teens and families who suffer through poverty and other major challenges. In addition, the funds will be used to supply ALL 29 DCF (Dept of Children and Families) OFFICES (through Wonderfund) with gifts and toys for our foster children and teens in need this holiday season.
We started as a small house party in 2002, growing to the 501c3 organization we are today providing thousands of toys/gifts each year to underprivileged children throughout the ENTIRE state of Massachusetts. It is with the generosity of friends, family, fantastic corporations, local businesses, and individual sponsors that we have been able to make such an impact for our partners:
- Casa Iris/Multicultural AIDS Coalition (Jamaica Plain): 465 Gifts Purchased ($6,000+ worth)
- IBA (South End): 367 Gifts Purchased ($5,000+ worth)
- Eastern Service Workers Association (Dorchester, East Boston, Mattapan): 430 Gifts Purchased ($6,000+ worth)
- United South End Settlements (South End): 1,101 Gifts and Art/School Supplies Purchased ($4,000+ worth)
- Urban Farming Institute (Mattapan, Dorchester): 191 Gifts Purchased ($2,500+ worth)
- Boston Housing Authority, Joseph Tierney Learning Center: 313 Gifts Purchased ($6,000+ worth)
- Boston Public Health Commission Homeless Shelter: 22 gifts purchased at Macy’s ($800 worth)
- St. Ann’s Home and School (Methuen): gifts purchased at Macy’s through gift cards ($2,200 worth)
- Respond, Inc: boxes of toys collected at various companies and delivered to the shelter
- Wonderfund: 1,694 gifts purchased through Group Sales; 2027 gifts purchased through Macy’s; 120 gift cards ($25 each) purchased through Wonderfund for teens.
Finally, we truly give thanks to our wonderful team of volunteer professionals who stick with us year after year. We also thank Gay for Good and FLAG Football for their help. This is truly a case of “it takes a village”, and we thank every organization and individual who makes Toys for Joys a priority each year.
We wish you a happy and healthy holiday season, and hope you are able to celebrate your holiday safely with the ones you love.
Dr. James Rifino
Mr. Harry Pihl
Our Mission remains:
to bring that feeling of family, joy and love by providing new toys to children less fortunate and most in need.
Through the years
From a “toy donation request” at the first holiday house party in 2002, Toys for Joys celebrates 12 years and well over 30,000 toys and gifts distributed. Today, the Toy Gala is considered a Boston holiday tradition of meeting up with family, friends and co-workers all while helping the families and children throughout Massachusetts.